Community Engagement & Accountability Officer
The Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) is an independent humanitarian organisation of public utility, is permanent and continuous, and has a legal entity and enjoys financial and administrative independence.
SARC was founded in 1942 according to the decrees No/540/ 1942 and No/117/ 1966 which regulate the Organisation’s work. It was recognized by the International Committee of the Red Cross in Geneva (ICRC) in 1946, and is committed to upholding the Geneva Conventions and the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Movement of Red Cross and Red Crescent National Societies.
Vacancy opening date: 06/07/2023
Vacancy closing date: 15/07/2023
Interested candidates are requested to send their updated CV in English and must be PDF File Only, otherwise will be rejected.
To firstname.lastname@example.org E-mail,
Subject “Community Engagement & Accountability Officer – HQ”.
Based In Damascus – Abou Remmaneh
Any resume without Subject will be automatically rejected.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The CEA officer will contribute to institutionalizing and strengthening community engagement and accountability within the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC)’s ways of working, programs, and operations. The CEA officer will work with colleagues to integrate meaningful community participation, open and honest communication, and mechanisms to listen and act on feedback, within programs and operations.
Job duties and responsibilities
The CEA officer will:
Support the institutionalization of CEA within SARC:
- Support CEA focal points within SARC in branches
- Support in managing SARC ’s community feedback mechanism, ensuring feedback is collected, analyzed, responded to, acted on, and referred to other departments and units as needed
Provide CEA support and guidance to programs and operations to:
- Support to Ensure that CEA questions are included in all needs assessments, and that assessments are participatory, and capture a thorough understanding of the context, and people’s priorities.
- Support to Ensure programs and responses are designed with the involvement and input of community members, including men, women, boys, girls, and any marginalized groups
- Support to Ensure program colleagues regularly share information about the program or response with community members, using the best approaches to reach different groups
- Support to Manage community feedback mechanisms technically in all SARC programs and interventions, with processes that ensure feedback is analyzed, responded to and acted upon
Coordination and representation
Support in coordinating CEA approaches across all SARC units, departments, and branches
- A university degree in a relevant area such as community engagement, community development, social and behavior change communication, sociology, health education, or relevant work experience.
- 1 year’s experience working for a humanitarian organization.
- Knowledge implementing assessments, community consultations, research and/or focus groups discussions
- Knowledge of implementing community feedback mechanisms
- Experience in designing and implementing tools for communicating with communities (radio, social media, social mobilization)
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and networking skills, able to build relationships with people at all levels of the organization
- Able to work under pressure and manage multiple tasks simultaneously, to a high standard and to the deadline
- Good knowledge of gender and diversity issues.