SARC Homs Operation Update – January 2015
Facts and numbers
- 34 aid trucks entered Al Waer area.
- 10565 beneficiaries benefited from the mobile and fixed clinics services.
- 46300 children benefited from the activities of the psycho social support.
- Relief aid entered Al Waer area for the second time on three stages during two months.
- 6 aid squads responded to affected people by a car explosion.
- Supported by ICRC, water and sanitation teams managed to stop the spread of epidemics by applying the garbage disposal project.
- Distribution of 23 wheelchairs in Deir Balba and 202 walking sticks in different areas brings hope for children of special need.
- 120 families benefited from building and rehabilitating the wooden rooms in the Industrial Zone of Hasya.
- Cold weather stimulates the relief teams to increase their activities and the local community participates in “Let us help” initiative.
- Ladies’ committee’s project for producing rugs and carpets by a small hand-loom.
- Health awareness team continues its activities in the observing youth center.
- SARC’s vaccination teams- Arrastan sub branch managed to deliver the needed vaccines for children.
Relief Team showed high preparedness and local community participated in “Let’s Help” initiative:
- In January, the SARC-Homs relief teams were on alert and responded to the displaced people in Hasya and Al Shallal areas for a whole week starting from the first day of the storm and the bad weather in those areas.
In order to help the families who inhabited in the countryside, the team distributed extra blankets, tarpaulins, and sleeping mats, in addition to 10 thousand winter clothes cartoons and 4600 blankets for children from UNICEF in Hasya and Deir Baalba.
- SARC Homs branch managed to deliver 34 aid trucks [food and no-food items] to the operating societies in AlWaer area. The operation lasted for three days. The team distributed food parcels, health parcels, milk for children, clothes and medicine.
- More than 400 thousands benefited from the relief services in January in Homs and its countryside. Relief teams continue registering and restoring data of the beneficiaries and affected people during their daily missions to the countryside that exceeded 55 areas in January.
- The relief teams registered and restored data of 355 families in January in Homs and its countryside, and the registering team received 816 beneficiaries in the disaster management center.
- The disaster team distributed 1600 cartoons of clothes to the affected families from the bad weather in AlZahra point.
First Aid Operations:
First aid squads transported 979 cases including 71 children in January.
First aid squads accessed Al Waer area and transported two children and two ladies to a hospital outside the area. In addition, 24 paramedics responded to the explosion in Akrama area and transported 22 injuries and 5 dead bodies.
Health Relief and Primary Health Care:
SARC Homs clinics treated patients in different areas, SARC health beneficiaries exceeded 14455. Patients in November as follows:
3518 patients in SARC Homs clinics, main center.
1202 patients in the night dispensary, main center.
2283 patients in Al Shammas dispensary.
1229 patients in Tadmour dispensary sub branch.
560 patients in Al fouroqlos dispensary sub branch.
1055 patients in Al Zahra dispensary.
650 patients in Akrama dispensary.
480 patients in the medical point in Alwadi sub-branch.
1604 patients in the medical point in Talbisah sub-branch.
1874 patients in the medical point in Alrrastan sub-branch.
Health Care Team continues its regular visits to reach more areas in the countryside and to help children and women suffering from cold weather problems.
The clinics visited 20 areas in Homs and treated 3892 cases:
ICRC gynecological clinic treated 582 cases.
ICRC pediatric clinic treated 1646 cases.
IFRC internal clinic treated 1664 cases (with a remarkable increase from the previous month).
The health survey team visited 40 areas and distributed chronic medicines to 1704 beneficiaries.
Mobile Health Teams:
Health awareness team continues its work of raising awareness against risks that school students are exposed to and of caring about other subjects such as reproductive health. 2751 beneficiaries benefited from the medical services and 6290 beneficiaries benefited from the health educational service.
The team continues the coordination and the regular visits to the observational youth center. Through a cooperation with the Social Affairs Management and Al Ber Charity and Social Services, this visit included the social education.
120 families benefited from the building operations and the rehabilitating of the wooden rooms in the Industrial Zone of Hasya,. The team managed to transport the affected families from the uninhabitable tents and rooms.
Husain Terkawi shelter supports ladies there through teaching them making woolen clothes and recycling old clothes. The ladies produced winter clothes for the inhabitants of the shelter. Then there was a charitable gallery for the manual work.
Supported by ICRC, the team provided gas cylinders for the collective kitchens.
The SARC team of Talbisah sub-branch continues its regular visits to Dar Alssaada for the elderly in order to provide them with health care.
Water and Sanitation Team:
The team prepared many sheltering centers in January. 427 beneficiaries benefited from three sheltering centers and 1500 beneficiaries benefited from the domesticate sheltering center.
Supported by the ICRC, the team continued the garbage disposal project in Talbisah area by collecting the garbage from 1500 random containers to the main garbage container in Alssan area. Then the team covered it by dust and planted trees.
The team delivered four refrigerators divided into three sections for corpses and provided by cooling system, electronic thermometer, taps and pumps.
The team also prepared 10 rooms in Hasya, seven of them are prepared to be WC. The other three rooms are prepared to be kitchens in Hasya.
19 sheltering centers are secured with drinkable water in Arrastan.
Hygiene Promotion Team:
536 beneficiaries benefited from the collaborative program between SARC and UNICEF in January.
Regarding Hygiene promotion, the team activities concentrate on issues of personal hygiene behaviors, hand washing, water purification and storing, lack of hygiene and infectious diseases and how to avoid them, the problems which the beneficiary faces and how to solve them.
Psycho- social Support Team:
1200 children benefited from the mentioned activities in January, 420 children out of 1200 children are those who came back to their houses in the old city.
45100 children benefited from the Child Jointly Spaces joint project with UNICEF.
10615 children benefited from school requirements in Talbisah.
11360 students benefited from educational support program in Arrastan.