Public Health in Emergency Coordinator
The Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) is an independent humanitarian organization of public utility, is permanent and continuous, and has a legal entity, and enjoys financial and administrative independence.
SARC was founded in 1942 according to the decrees No/540/ 1942 and No/117/ 1966 which regulate the Organisation’s work. It was recognized by the International Committee of the Red Cross in Geneva (ICRC) in 1946, and is committed to upholding the Geneva Conventions and the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Movement of Red Cross and Red Crescent National Societies.
Vacancy opening date: 24/04/2023
Vacancy closing date: 29/04/2023
Interested candidates are requested to send their updated CV in English which must be a PDF file only, otherwise will be rejected
To firstname.lastname@example.org E-mail,
Subject “PHiE coordinator”.
Any resume without subject will be automatically rejected.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Incomplete file or application in a language other than English will be rejected
Purpose of employment:
Syria is one of the most protracted complex emergency contexts where different types of crises, including health emergencies recurrently occurred. The role of the public health in emergency coordinator would be to promote, protect, and improve the health of individuals and communities. The PHiE coordinator will coordinate the SARC emergency health response with a focus on public health and community-level epidemic readiness and response measures. Coordinate responses at the SARC’s branch level to ensure the support for rapid detection and appropriate response to outbreaks, other health emergencies, and health consequences of disasters and crises is well organized. Coordinate country-level collaboration with Movement partners and other agencies as deemed necessary.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop, maintain, and implement training plans for staff and volunteers and ensure compliance with public health emergency preparedness protocols.
- Completes, evaluates, maintains, and updates as appropriate the SARC Public Health Emergency Preparedness and Response Plan in coordination with WASH, DM, EMS, and other relevant SARC departments and facilitates local response to public health emergencies.
- Initiate the ERU in collaboration with other SARC departments and RC partners in an event that calls for the use/ deployment of an ERU.
- Coordinate different RC and SARC efforts in emergency prevention and control initiatives and activities (e.g. CBHFA health promotion, WASH health promotion, Cholera plan and training, EPIC training…) toward better systematic contribution to overall EPC
- Coordinates investigations regarding communicable and infectious diseases and prepares corresponding reports with recommendations based on said investigations.
- Design/ Adapt and maintain a rapid and secure disease reporting mechanism for early detection and the response of public health emergencies.
- Collects and performs analysis on relevant data necessary for the preparation of various reports, as required.
- Knowledge management that supports learning and development of best practices for emergency health response in the National Society.
- Performs all other related work as required within the scope of public health preparedness.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Medical doctor or bachelor’s degree in public health, emergency management, or related field, with professional experience in a public health agency, preparedness field, or comparable setting.
- A minimum of 3 years experience working in an NGO or Red Cross Red Crescent Movement is preferred.
- Planning background and emergency response orientation are desirable.
- Working knowledge of the public health system and interaction of the medical system and emergency response sectors.
- Experience with project/program management, including planning, monitoring, and evaluating projects in complex environments.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Good knowledge of modern practices and principles of public health including investigation and surveillance methods; good knowledge of community organizations and service providers related to public health.
- Demonstrated success in project management, including planning, design, implementation, and reporting.
- Have an experience to develop and conduct training programs and delivering presentations in a clear concise, and articulate manner.
- knowledgeable in the methods of program development and evaluation
- Strong initiative and ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to collect, analyze and organize data as well as to prepare reports.
- Capacity to understand and interpret complex oral instructions and/or written instructions.
- Solid organizational skills, initiative, integrity, and sound professional judgment.
- Computer proficiency in word processing programs, PowerPoint, Excel, and other document formatting techniques, ability to create and maintain rapid electronic communications networks and provide required updates.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English. Fluency in Arabic is a strong asset.