SARC Norwegian Red Cross Project Coordinator
The Syrian Arab Red Crescent
(SARC) is an independent humanitarian organization of public utility, is permanent and continuous, has a legal entity and enjoys financial and administrative independence.
SARC was founded in 1942 according to the decrees No/540/ 1942 and No/117/ 1966 which regulate the Organisation’s work. It was recognized by the International Committee of the Red Cross in Geneva (ICRC) in 1946, and is committed to upholding the Geneva Conventions and the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Movement of Red Cross and Red Crescent National Societies.
Vacancy opening date: 12/03/2023
Vacancy closing date: 18/03/2023
Interested candidates are requested to send their updated CVs in English which must be Word file or PDF file only, otherwise will be rejected
To email@example.com E-mail,
Subject “NRC Project Coordinator”.
Any resume without a subject will be automatically rejected.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Incomplete file or application in a language other than English will be rejected
The Syrian Arab Red Crescent is seeking to recruit a:
NRC project Coordinator (based in SARC Head Quarter Abou Remmaneh, Damascus, Syria)
Norwegian Red Cross has been working in Syria since 2012 supporting SARC in their humanitarian activities, where the operation has been growing enormously since the outbreak of the Syrian crisis.
With multiple donors and increased funding, there is a demand for improved and more detailed reporting, assessment, monitoring, and follow-up to ensure accountability and transparency to secure continues donor support in the future.
The Projects Coordinator is responsible for compliance with project implementation, monitoring, and support to ensure timely and accurate narrative and financial reporting. The Projects Coordinator will work and coordinate with SARC–appointed focal points for the project. Focal points represent SARC Health, water and rehabilitation, Communication, Information Management (IM), Logistics, IT, and MEAL departments.
The main duty of the Projects Coordinator is to regularly compile structured information necessary for proper monitoring, development, implementation, and reporting of NorCross supported programs and take over some key program responsibilities in case of necessity. This also includes being able to rapidly collect information related to in-country changes that will enable NorCross to efficiently respond to new requests from SARC
The Projects Coordinator will act in close collaboration and coordination with corresponding SARC management and sector departments, the NorCross delegates, and where appropriate with the involved SARC branches and sub-branches. On request, the Projects Coordinator will liaison with other relevant stakeholders to support the implementation of NorCross supported programs.
- Support proper project planning, implementation, monitoring, reporting, and evaluation of the project.
- Follow-up with the SARC focal points on relevant components of the project
- Ensure that funds transferred at the country level for the implementation of the project are used as per the project document
- Assist SARC in producing timely and quality narrative and financial quarterly reports for the project.
- Support and develop national staff and volunteers as required
- Assist specialist technical consultants in carrying out their work
Specific Duties, Responsibilities, and accountabilities:
- Liaise with and coordinate between NorCross, and SARC focal points on all aspects of the NorCross projects.
- Support the implementation and monitoring of individual project components
- Conduct regular visits to enable better reporting
- Consolidated reports based on the input received from SARC
- Support the facilitation of coordination meetings with NorCross- partners and SARC
- Contribute to the preparation of steering committee meetings with, SARC
- Maintain a rolling timeline that compiles all key project milestone dates and deadlines for the project.
- Participate in visits to Syria by NorCross visitors.
- Ensure that the DRC visibility requirements will be fulfilled and supported in Syria
- When required, contribute in preparing, and roll-out of M&E tools
- Support the NorCross-Country Manager in maintaining a rolling timeline that compiles all key project milestone dates and deadlines for the project.
- Scrutinise project effectiveness and efficiency, and look for ways to improve project management, for instance working remotely in insecure areas.
- Support the organization and support of the projects mid-term review (MTR), and follow-up on its findings and consequences.
- Ensure that SARC staff and volunteers receive support and capacity building in the competencies needed for successful implementation and reporting on the projects
- Frequent communication with relevant SARC staff at headquarters in Damascus, specifically the line manager and focal points.
- Compile segregated narrative monthly and quarterly reports based on funding source/donor.
- Contribute to collect and provide data for the planning of new activities for the preparation of new proposals
- Liaise closely with the SARC communication department to prepare presentations and graphic reports on NorCross supported activities based on donor requirements
- Organise and follow up on necessary authorizations, visa, and field visit requests, delegates resident permits that need to be processed through SARC management
- Organise transport, hotel, visa, and required permits for NorCross visitors to Syria, including keeping the SARC management informed of proposed visits.
- Organise translation of documents and reports from Arabic & English and English & Arabic.
- Ensuring projects adhere to frameworks and all documentation is maintained appropriately for each project. Including assets inventory.
- Monitor the work plan and assess achievements of indicators established between the NorCross and SARC, in coordination with the SARC staff and NorCross Delegates.
Required profile, qualifications, and skills:
- A relevant academic degree in related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in development and/or humanitarian project management and programming and financial management experience.
- Excellent English speaking and writing skills.
- Strong skills in analysis and strategy development, in assessment, project design, and understanding donor requirements.
- Full proficiency in Microsoft Office and as self-supporting with computers as possible.
- Has integrity and professionalism, feels accountable, able to work collaboratively and in teams, and focused on client needs.
- Confident in situations of stress, and able to handle a heavy but varied workload for a long period.
- Results-orientated but at the same time innovative and flexible.
- Skilled and able to train and develop staff and volunteers.
- Understanding that process and ownership are key to achieving results in culturally and politically sensitive environments.
- Excellent diplomacy, communication, coordination, negotiation, networking and facilitation skills.
- Authority and persistence in promoting key issues and upholding collective interests.
- Experience of working within the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement.