Syrian Arab Red Crescent, Damascus
The Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) is an independent humanitarian organisation of public utility, is permanent and continuous, and has a legal entity and enjoys financial and administrative independence.
SARC was founded in 1942 according to the decrees No/540/ 1942 and No/117/ 1966 which regulate the Organisation’s work. It was recognized by the International Committee of the Red Cross in Geneva (ICRC) in 1946, and is committed to upholding the Geneva Conventions and the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Movement of Red Cross and Red Crescent National Societies.
Vacancy opening date: 30/09/2018
Vacancy closing date: 20/10/2018
Interested candidates are requested to send their complete files in English (CV, motivation letter, and references and must be Word file or PDF file only, otherwise will be rejected)
To email@example.com E-mail,
Subject “Programme Officer”.
Any resume without subject will be automatically rejected.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Incomplete file or application in a language other than English will be rejected
The Syrian Arab Red Crescent is seeking to recruit a:
Based in Damascus with frequent travel around Syria.
Purpose of employment:
The British Red Cross (BRC) has been working with the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) since 2004, initially focusing on strengthening SARC’s ability to prepare for, respond to and recover from disasters. When the crisis began in 2011, BRC quickly scaled up its support to SARC, to assist in meeting the increasing humanitarian needs resulting from the crisis and to ensure SARC operational capacity was strengthened at national and local levels.
In 2017, BRC and SARC signed a 10-year Memorandum of Understanding, with a focus on working in partnership to continue organisational strengthening of SARC.
Together, BRC and SARC have been implementing projects with the aim of alleviating the suffering of people affected by the crisis inside Syria. At present, plans are under development for a new phase of programmes until 2020, with a focus on SARC institutional capacity development.
A Programme Officer is required, based at SARC Headquarters, to support the successful delivery of BRC/SARC programme activities at field level.
The main purpose of the role is to ensure suitable technical resources are dedicated to the implementation of BRC/SARC agreed programmes, and to follow up related matters, under the guidance of the SARC Programme Manager.
The Programme Officer will also follow up and closely work with respective SARC departments, to facilitate the required SARC internal processes that will support the timely implementation, monitoring and reporting of BRC/SARC programme activities under in agreement with SARC programme manager.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Assist the Programme Manager to develop an overall SARC action plan for the relevant BRC/SARC joint projects, in coordination with relevant HQ staff;
- Provide support to ensure that, for each project, objectives and activities are understood, internalized and carried out by SARC branches and HQ technical teams;
- Arrange and minute monthly project review meetings (HQ level) with BRC, to confirm that both financial and programme performance is on track;
- Provide technical assistance to the branches and relevant staff and volunteers where needed, to support quality and timely monitoring of programme activities,
- Coordinate with relevant staff and volunteers to implement methodological guidelines to ensure project quality and consistency across branches/ areas of intervention (as relevant);
- In close cooperation with SARC Information Management Unit and the Reporting Officer, collate required data and information to record, update and maintain any changes to the programme implementation – and prepare materials to communicate this to BRC;
- Provide regular progress reports on designated aspects of project implementation to the Programme Manager and SARC HQ management team;
- Coordinate with SARC HQ departments and branches regarding the production of all reports pertaining to the BRC/SARC programme activities;
- Regularly liaise with the SARC finance team to ensure timely financial reporting and forecasting is provided to the Programme Manager;
- Provide general project and administrative support to the Programme Manager, as required;
- Maintain regular contact with the BRC Syria Crisis Programme Assistant / Programme Officer.
- Conduct regular field visits to branches and sub-branches to follow up the implementation of the programme activities and coordinate timely actions when required to ensure quality implementation.
- Coordinate administrative matters related to BRC visits to and around Syria in-line with SARC procedures, ways of working and approval process.
Required skills and experience:
- Experience with project cycle management and project management tools such as logical frameworks, work plans, budgets and forecasts, monitoring and evaluation plans and indicator tracking;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, including administrative support and report writing;
- Confident in dealing with internal and external actors at different levels;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in both English and Arabic;
- University degree in social science, or business management or other related fields.
- At least one year successful track record of humanitarian disaster management experience, preferably within the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, and ideally with SARC;
- Strong level of computer skills (Windows, MS Office, etc.) and ideally an aptitude for data analysis and database management;
- Ability to work independently, including under pressure, in an accountable and responsible manner;
- Willingness and aptitude for humanitarian field work, with availability to travel at short notice to branches and governorates across Syria, including overnight stays when required.
- Practical project management experience in the field of disaster management, relief, or capacity building;
- Demonstrable experience of project financial management and reporting;
- In-depth understanding of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, supported with direct personal experience.
Working base: Damascus, with regular travel to SARC branches and sub-branches as required.