The Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) is an independent humanitarian organisation of public utility, is permanent and continuous, and has a legal entity and enjoys financial and administrative independence.
SARC was founded in 1942 according to the decrees No/540/ 1942 and No/117/ 1966 which regulate the Organisation’s work. It was recognized by the International Committee of the Red Cross in Geneva (ICRC) in 1946, and is committed to upholding the Geneva Conventions and the Seven Fundamental Principles of the International Movement of Red Cross and Red Crescent National Societies.
The Syrian Arab Red Crescent is seeking to recruit a:
Based in Damascus (Abu Remaneh) with frequent travel around Syria.
Vacancy opening date: 17/12/2019
Vacancy closing date: 28/12/2019
Interested candidates are requested to send their complete files in English (CV, motivation letter, and references and must be Word file or PDF file only, otherwise will be rejected)
To email@example.com E-mail,
Subject “BRC Programme Coordinator”.
Any resume without subject will be automatically rejected.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Purpose of employment:
The British Red Cross (BRC) has been working with the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) since 2004, initially focusing on strengthening SARC’s ability to prepare for, respond to and recover from disasters. When the crisis began in 2011, BRC quickly scaled up its support to SARC, to assist in meeting the increasing humanitarian needs resulting from the crisis and to ensure SARC operational capacity was strengthened at national and local levels.
In 2017, BRC and SARC signed a 10-year Memorandum of Understanding, with a focus on working in partnership to continue organisational strengthening of SARC.
Together, BRC and SARC have been implementing projects with the aim of alleviating the suffering of people affected by the crisis inside Syria. At present, plans are under development for a new phase of programmes until 2020, with focus on SARC institutional capacity development.
A Programme Coordinator is required, based at SARC Headquarters, to directly manage the successful delivery of BRC/SARC programme activities.
The main purpose of the role is to ensure suitable resources are dedicated to the implementation of BRC/SARC agreed programmes, and to follow up related matters, under the guidance of SARC management team and BRC Syria Crisis Programme Manager (SCPM).
The Programme Manager will also coordinate with respective SARC departments, to facilitate the required SARC internal processes that will support the timely implementation, monitoring and reporting of BRC/SARC programme activities.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- With support from BRC, develop an overall SARC action plan for the relevant BRC/SARC joint projects, with emphasis on National Society development activities, in coordination with relevant HQ staff;
- Facilitate and provide guidance to ensure that, for each project, objectives and activities are understood, internalized and carried out by SARC branches and HQ technical teams;
- Organize monthly project review meetings (HQ level) with BRC, to confirm that both financial and programme performance is on track;
- To ensure quality, timely monitoring of programme activities is undertaken, providing support to the branches and relevant staff and volunteers where needed;
- To coordinate with relevant staff and volunteers to guarantee that methodological guidelines are followed, to ensure project quality and consistency across branches/ areas of intervention (as relevant).
- In close cooperation with SARC Information Management Unit and the Reporting Officer, collate required data and information to record, update and maintain any changes to the programme implementation – and to communicate this to BRC in a timely manner.
- Provide regular reports to SARC HQ management team and BRC SCPM on all aspects of project implementation, highlighting any risks/opportunities;
- Coordinate with SARC HQ departments and branches regarding the production of all reports pertaining to the BRC/SARC programme activities;
- Regularly liaise with the SARC finance team, and subsequently inform BRC, to ensure timely financial reporting and forecasting is provided to BRC;
- Maintain constant formal and informal communication, including regular meetings, on the progress of the programme with the BRC SCPM.
Required skills and experience:
- Experience with project cycle management and project management tools such as logical frameworks, work plans, budgets and forecasts, monitoring and evaluation plans and indicator tracking;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including relationship building and presentations;
- Demonstrated ability and effectiveness in dealing with internal and external actors at different levels;
- Advanced written and oral communication skills in both English and Arabic;
- University degree or equivalent; (Master’s degree or equivalent in social science, development studies, business management or other related field is a PLUS).
- At least three years successful track record of humanitarian disaster management experience, preferably within the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, and ideally with SARC;
- Strong level of computer skills (Windows, MS Office, etc.) and ideally an aptitude for data analysis and database management;
- Ability to work independently, including under pressure, in an accountable and responsible manner;
- Willingness and aptitude for humanitarian field work, with availability to travel at short notice to branches and governorates across Syria, including overnight stays when required.
- At least one year project management experience in the field of disaster management, relief, or capacity building;
- Demonstrable experience of project financial management and reporting;
- In-depth understanding of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, supported with direct personal experience.
Working base: Damascus, with regular travel to SARC branches and sub-branches as required.
Working languages: Arabic and English.