The Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) is an independent humanitarian organisation of public utility, is permanent and continuous, and has a legal entity and enjoys financial and administrative independence.
SARC was founded in 1942 according to the decrees No/540/ 1942 and No/117/ 1966 which regulate the Organisation’s work. It was recognized by the International Committee of the Red Cross in Geneva (ICRC) in 1946, and is committed to upholding the Geneva Conventions and the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Movement of Red Cross and Red Crescent National Societies.
Vacancy opening date: 04-12-2018
Vacancy closing date: 2/1/2019
Interested candidates are requested to send their complete files in English (CV, motivation letter, and references and must be Word file or PDF file only, otherwise will be rejected)
To firstname.lastname@example.org E-mail,
Subject “PPSU Manager”.
Any resume without subject (PPSU Manager) will be automatically rejected.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
SARC has undertaken the initiative of establishing the Partnerships & Performance Support Unit (PPSU). The newly established PPSU will support the results of SARC’s strategic plan to grow its institutional capacity, partnerships and resources for the delivery of quality services to the vulnerable people and sustainability of the National Society. The core functions of the unit focus on providing strategic and thematic assistance to capacity building processes, solid compliance and accountability mechanisms, improve internal and external coordination, foster partnerships and mobilize resources. This unit will have a role in supporting SARC leadership and Organization Development and Strategic Planning Coordinator in the development and implementation of SARC’s strategy.
The PPSU will be structured in three areas or sub-unit:
▫ Partnerships & Grant Management – contribute to building and nurturing strategic and operational partnerships, resource mobilization, strengthen coordination with partners and optimization of resources, grant management and impact-oriented reporting
▫ Programme Support and Development – Support SARC programmes’ capacity building and inter-departmental joint working modalities
▫ MEAL – contribute in the design and roll-out of relevant monitoring and evaluation tools, accountability mechanisms towards beneficiaries, knowledge management, standardization of MEAL processes/procedures.
The PSSU Manager will join the establishing of Performance and Partnerships Unit (PPSU) within Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC). This position will take a leading role with SARC leadership and senior management to establish this unit, and for the overall direction and management of the Unit, provide leadership and vision for the Unit’s strategies implemented through the functional sub-components (partnerships & grant management, programme’s support and MEAL), developing the Unit’s objectives and work plan, liaising with other SARC departments and partners, and providing on-the-job training and coaching for SARC staff within the unit. The ultimate goal is to impact.
The PPSU Manager will based at SARC headquarters in Damascus and will manage a team of 5+ staff across the functions of the Unit and will work closely with SARC leadership to ensure the Unit’s direction and objectives align and contribute to SARC strategic and operational priorities.
Job duties and responsibilities
Leadership and overall management of the PPSU:
• As a new unit, the PPSU Manager will be responsible for leading the establishment of the PPSU, developing the direction, structure, functions, setting the objectives and work plan towards the objectives of the Unit. Ensure availability of the financial resources of the unit.
• Manage and oversee the recruitment of qualified human resources of the unit and plan for their continuing learning and development, ensuring adequate management of the team.
• Promote teamwork to ensure harmonization, linkages, collaboration and synergy across with other units and, ensure that staff members are provided sufficient information, guidance and support to collaborate and support other units.
• Direct and oversee the effective delivery of the support and advice the PPSU team will provide to SARC senior management and programmes within the scope of the set functions.
Partnerships and Resource Mobilization:
• Actively engage in supporting SARC leadership and senior management in developing and nurturing strategic and operational external partnerships and contribute to mobilize adequate and predictable financial resources.
• Support and drive when pertinent resource mobilisation initiatives including identifying funding opportunities and leading/coaching PPSU officers in developing project proposals in coordination with technical departments.
• Direct and oversee the development and implementation of effective and innovative resource mobilization initiatives and activities. Ensure regular and ad-hoc liaison with existing and potential partners on the urgent and strategic SARC funding priorities.
• Lead the analysis of the funding trends and identification of funding opportunities and new partnerships; analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, advise SARC on the recommended approach to access new funding.
• Manage effectively relationships with existing and potential partners, actively engaging in advocacy for the funding needed towards achieving SARC goals and objectives, cultivating relationships and identifying opportunities for broaden and deepen support to SARC activities.
• Working closely with the communications unit in developing strategic communication approaches, advocacy papers towards the positioning of SARC in support of resource mobilization, highlighting evidence and impact of SARC’s action.
Performance and coordination support:
• Develop and facilitate effective coordination mechanisms between SARC and Movement and external partners engaged in relief and programmatic activities with SARC
• Work closely with SARC management supporting the development of coherent and consistent operational plans in alignment to the strategic objectives of SARC. To this end, provide support and advice programmes to develop aligned plans and budgets according to the institutional priorities striving for high quality deliverables, and the identification of assumptions and risks.
• Assist SARC management in the design of an overarching capacity building plan reflective of the support of the Movement and other partners; support in coordination of resources towards the SARC plan and strategy promoting complementarity and optimization of resources.
• Drive forward a coherent portfolio of performance and accountability initiatives, provide appropriate and effective technical and advisory oversight, and develop and support the adoption of tools and approaches that systematically strengthens SARC’s project management and accountability.
• Coordinate with existing and potential partners the support towards SARC’s organizational and programmatic areas to ensure synergy and effective use of the funds and promote complementary of the collective efforts towards the common goals.
• Facilitate inter-departmental coordinated joint working modalities and in the design of operational plans/multi-sectoral interventions promoting synergy, optimization/mobilization of resources and impact mirrored in implementation
• Support leadership in designing effective monitoring and reporting framework on the implementation of the SARC strategic plan
• Oversee and drive the design and development of tools and mechanisms that will enhance SARC’s accountability and compliance to donor’s, strengthening grant management systems working closely with finance and programmes.
Required skills and work experience:
Degree level in Humanitarian Studies, Development Studies, International Relations, Social Research or other relevant subject/professional training
Experience & skills
• Minimum 5 years’ senior level experience working in large and complex operations
• Minimum 5 years of progressive responsibility in programme management and coordination
• Minimum 3 years’ experience in staff performance and development management
• Experience in developing vision, concepts and strategies for planning in strategic partnerships and resource mobilization;
• Demonstrated experience in directing teams that deliver high quality results, as well as successfully managing key internal and external stakeholders and relationships. Proven ability to train, motivate and manage personnel;
• Demonstrated success in marketing to and engaging culturally diverse audiences and partners.
• Strong interpersonal skills, with proven ability to collaborate across departments to implement processes and achieve results. Track record of building and maintaining productive relationships with multiple stakeholders;
• Ability to prioritize, multi-task efficiently and respond to a high volume of ongoing requests in a timely fashion. Ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic work environment;
Fluency in oral and written English and Arabic is mandatory