The Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) is an independent humanitarian organisation of public utility, is permanent and continuous, and has a legal entity and enjoys financial and administrative independence.
SARC was founded in 1942 according to the decrees No/540/ 1942 and No/117/ 1966 which regulate the Organisation’s work. It was recognized by the International Committee of the Red Cross in Geneva (ICRC) in 1946, and is committed to upholding the Geneva Conventions and the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Movement of Red Cross and Red Crescent National Societies.
The Syrian Arab Red Crescent is seeking to recruit:
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Officers (based in SARC Headquarters).
Vacancy opening date: 17/12/2019
Vacancy closing date: 28/12/2019
Interested candidates are requested to send their complete files in English (CV, motivation letter, and references and must be Word file or PDF file only, otherwise will be rejected)
To email@example.com E-mail,
Subject “MEAL Officer”.
Any resume without subject will be automatically rejected.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Purpose of employment:
The MEAL officer will work under the supervision of MEAL Coordinator in order to implement an effective and functional MEAL system. He/she provides support to the programmes in designing, monitoring and evaluating all projects’ interventions. Moreover, he/she works with the direct supervisor in the coordination and/or the implementation of projects’ baselines and evaluations, as well as the implementation of standardized MEAL processes and tools for all sectors.
Main duties and responsibilities:
Support the set up of MEAL system (30%)
- Support in the development of Standard Operating Procedures for each of the MEAL processes.
- Support in the development of MEAL templates (i.e. Logframe, M&E plan, Indicator Tracking Table etc.).
- Develop tools (surveys, checklists, interview guides etc.) in alignment with quality standards, donor requirements, and sector guidelines and are adapted to the context.
- Support in identifying and setting accountability mechanisms, including effective complaints and response mechanism for hearing and responding to different types of feedback linked to programme and services.
Lead the implementation of MEAL system (50%)
- Develop project specific M&E frameworks in coordination with programmes staff including all details about indicators, definitions, sources of data, and responsibilities.
- Develop methodology, sampling, and adapt tools for MEAL activities.
- Facilitate training on use of tools and data collection process to programme teams and volunteers.
- Coordinate and follow up with programme staff and voluneteers on monitoring activities and data collection.
- Undertake regular monitoring visits to programme sites, validate the information being collected, and support volunteers in the collection of information.
- Complete verification of reported data in coordination with Information Management.
- Consolidate information collected through accountability channels using standardized log sheets, reporting templates, and share information with key stakeholders.
- Work with programme teams to ensure findings from on-going monitoring, specific reviews, accountability mechanisms, and other sources of information are used to adapt the programme as needed.
- For internally led baselines and evaluations, develop Terms of Reference, methodology, tools, coordinate data collection at field, and draft report.
- For externally led baselines and evalutaions or any other study, support MEAL Coordinator in coordinating the agreed upon activities.
- Analyse data collected in monitoring and evaluation
- Write MEAL report and portray findings in the most appropriate manner and depending on the audience.
- Follow-up and check together with the programme team that M&E recommendations have been followed and report back to relevant focal points.
- Support all programs to creat a reporting system according to the indicators in the log-frames
Maintain coordination and communication with relevant departments in SARC (10%)
- Coordinate closely with programme teams from the set up of MEAL plans, throughout implementation, and after articulation of lessons learned and recommendations.
- Support SARC branches in MEAL activities upon request.
- Attend relevant internal and external meetings.
- Attend internal and external trainings, workshops, events, etc.
- Develop performance objectives and complete performance reviews in coordination with supervisor.
The National MEAL officer/s will report to the MEAL coordinator.
Required skills and work experience:
- University degree level in Social Sciences, International Development, Public Health, Biostatistics, or other relevant field
- Previous humanitarian experience ( 3 years ) with Red Cross Red Crescent, INGOs, or UN is preferred
- Experience at least 2 years in design and implementation of M&E systems, including qualitative and quantitative approaches to baselines, monitoring and evaluations is required
- Good understanding of project cycle management, including developing implementation plans and monitoring systems and ensuring project activities are implemented to a high standard in a timely and professional manner
- Experience working with communities
- Experience conducting all kind of data collection tools ( Surveys , Focused Group Discussion , Key Informant Interviews….etc
- Understanding of international standards in humanitarian protection and accountability (e.g. HAP, SPHERE, Red Cross Code of Conduct, etc)
- Very good knowledge of ODK database/SMAP server
- Excellent data handling skills (classification, categorizing, tabulation etc.) and demonstrates diligence in data management and analysis
- Good knowledge of information presentation techniques (graphing, charting, tabling etc.) and interpreting them
- The ability to work on one of the data analysis programs ( SPSS , STATA or Excel )
- Strong level of computer skills (Windows, MS Office, etc.) and ideally an understanding of data and database management
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to represent SARC externally with different stakeholders; cultural sensitivity and awareness
- Excellent written English, with fluency in speaking Arabic and English
- Ability to work independently and under pressure in a responsible manner
- Knowledge of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement is preferred
- Willingness and aptitude for humanitarian field work, and availability to travel at short notice to branches and governorates across SARC, including overnight stays when required
- Professional ethics
- Commitment to the Red Cross Red Crescent Fundamental Principles of Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality
- Ability to create and maintain positive relations with people to create/facilitate positive dialogue
- Stays open to internal and external feedback
- Capacity to work under pressure and to manage various tasks at the same time