Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Coordinator
Syrian Arab Red Crescent, Damascus
The Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) is an independent humanitarian organisation of public utility, is permanent and continuous, and has a legal entity and enjoys financial and administrative independence.
SARC was founded in 1942 according to the decrees No/540/ 1942 and No/117/ 1966, which regulate the Organisation’s work. It was recognized by the International Committee of the Red Cross in Geneva (ICRC) in 1946, and is committed to upholding the Geneva Conventions and the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Movement of Red Cross and Red Crescent National Societies.
Vacancy opening date: 23/10/2018
Vacancy closing date: 03/11/2018
Interested candidates are requested to send their complete files in English (CV, motivation letter, and references and must be Word file or PDF file only, otherwise will be rejected)
To email@example.com E-mail,
Subject “MEAL Coordinator”.
Any resume without subject will be automatically rejected.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Incomplete file or application in a language other than English will be rejected
The Syrian Arab Red Crescent is seeking to recruit a:
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Coordinator (based in SARC Headquarters)
Purpose of employment:
The MEAL Coordinator will lead the MEAL sub-Unit embedded under the Performance, Partnership & Accountability (PPA) Unit. This advertised position is responsible for setting and roll out effective MEAL system across SARC in coordination with Red Cross Red Crescent Movement and others. He/she will work closely with PPA unit and programme teams to ensure strong programme design, effective monitoring and evaluation systems, and appropriate accountability mechanisms are in place. The post holder will also lead capacity building in MEAL tools/processes, contributing as such to quality programmes and accountability. Finally, he/she will also guide the development of evidence-based methods for informed decision-making and mainstreaming learning across the organization.
Main duties and responsibilities:
Establish MEAL System (35%)
• Work with the programmes to develop/adapt and roll-out standard MEAL systems across the organization in coordination with MEAL focal people (in Red Cross Red Crescent Movement) who will provide guidance and technical support throughout the process and in all of the below tasks.
• Lead the development of SARC MEAL framework
• Closely with programme teams and volunteers promote and facilitate a common understanding of the objectives of monitoring and evaluation, as well as identify the elements necessary for the establishment of an MEAL efficient system.
• Develop and adapt systems and processes, including routine data collection and analysis, to ensure the effective and participatory use of MEAL that are feasible for the Syria Crisis context.
• Lead the development of Standard Operating Procedures for each of the MEAL processes
• establish platform to communicate MEAL findings and share learning across the organization
• Responsible for the development and dissemination of standard MEAL templates (i.e. Log frame, M&E plan, Indicator Tracking Table etc.)
• Ensure appropriate tools (surveys, checklists, interview guides etc.) are developed in alignment with quality standards, donor requirements, and sector guidelines and are adapted to the context.
• Identify and streamline appropriate accountability mechanisms in consultation with programme teams and communities.
• Work closely with SARC Information Management to enhance data validation and verification processes, and analysis.
• With SARC Information Management among other teams, to identify and initiate the the adoption of new and relevant technologies for M&E data collection, including the use of mobile data collection; web-based program management systems; data collection and analysis software; and learning platforms for MEAL.
• Develop capacity building plan based on the priorities and gaps identified among SARC programmes and partners.
Capacity building and ensure the implementation of effective MEAL system (25%)
• Working closely with programmes to develop and adapt MEAL plans, and to provide close support and follow-up in its implementation, and ensure quality and consistent monitoring information is available on programme performance and impact.
• Develop systems to ensure timely and quality reporting; analysis and MEAL reports, making sure findings are presented in an appropriate and accurate way and the quality of report meets minimum requirements for final submission (internally within SARC or externally to donors)
• Manage and organize internal baselines and evaluations (revision and sign off on Terms of reference, methodology, data collections tools, report).
• In case of externally led MEAL processes (i.e. assessments,studies, evaluations) coordinate with the evaluation team ensuring quality implementation, review deliverables, and sign off final products.
• Support to organize and coordinate internal learning event, and identify and facilitate SARC participation in external learning events.
• Work with programme teams to ensure findings from on-going monitoring, evaluations, specific reviews, and other sources of information are used to adapt the programme as needed.
• Oranize and facilitate capacity building sessions to promote good understanding of the MEAL concepts/ methodologies and its importance to ensure MEAL remains a high priority and is systematically streamlined across the organization
• Work with relevant staff to ensure an effective complaints and response mechanism is in place for hearing and responding to different types of feedback linked to programme and services.
Support PPA Unit (10%)
• Support PPA unit in overall planning and roll out of its systems and processes.
• Support PPA in developing performance indicators for the strategy and tracking the progress accordingly.
• Provide MEAL input in proposals (log frame, budgeting for MEAL activities and staffing, MEAL narrative plan, etc.).
Team Management (25%)
• Manage HR related matters (recruitments, performance agreements and reviews for direct reports).
• Manage MEAL Officers (coaching and providing technical guidance on methodology, sampling, tools, M&E frameworks; meetings; following-up; supporting; troubleshooting, reviewing and providing feedback for plans and deliverables).
• Ensure MEAL officers are provided with capacity building opportunities.
• Manage finance and procurement related matters for the MEAL sub-unit.
• Attend relevant internal and external meetings, training, workshops, events
• Attend internal and external trainings, workshops, events, etc.
• Conduct project site visits occasionally.
The MEAL Coordinator will directly report to the Performance, Partnerships & Accountability Unit Director. In addition, there will be dotted technical line with IFRC PMEAL delegate.
Required skills and work experience:
• University undergraduate degree level in Social Sciences, International Development, Public Health or other relevant field – Master’s degree is a preference
• Previous humanitarian experience with Red Cross Red Crescent, INGOs, or UN is preferred
• Experience in managing and implementing MEAL systems in development and humanitarian contexts, including qualitative and quantitative approaches to baselines, monitoring and evaluations
• Good understanding of project cycle management, including developing implementation plans and monitoring systems and ensuring project activities are implemented to a high standard in a timely and professional manner
• Understanding of international standards in humanitarian protection and accountability (e.g. HAP, SPHERE, Red Cross Code of Conduct, etc.)
• Excellent knowledge of information presentation techniques (graphing, charting, tabling etc.), data processing and analysis, and interpretation skills
• Proven knowledge of computerised systems; with skills in statistical analysis in related software (e.g. SPSS/ SPHINX/MS ACCESS/EPI INFO)
• Strong level of computer skills (Windows, MS Office, etc.) and an understanding of data and database management
• Experience working with and/or reporting to major donors
• Excellent report writing and information dissemination skills
• Excellent written English, with good command of spoken Arabic and English
• Strong planning and analytical skills, with proven problem solving experience
• Proven ability to lead and work effectively with others to achieve results, with strong people leadership/management abilities and skills for managing and working in teams
• Excellent communication skills, including the ability to represent SARC externally with different stakeholders; cultural sensitivity and awareness
• Ability to work independently and under pressure in a responsible manner
• Knowledge of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement is preferred
• Willingness and aptitude for humanitarian field work, and availability to travel at short notice to branches and governorates across SARC, including overnight stays when required
• Professional ethics
• Commitment to the Red Cross Red Crescent Fundamental Principles of Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality
• Ability to create and maintain positive relations with people to create/facilitate positive dialogue
• Proactive and demonstrated leaderships skills
• Capacity to work under pressure and to manage various tasks at the same time
Working languages: Arabic and English