SARC is a leading humanitarian organization in Syria, working in emergency health and first aid, primary health care, humanitarian assistance/relief, water and sanitation, and protection.
Vacancy opening date: 31/10/2019
Vacancy closing date: 09/11/2019
Interested candidates are requested to send their complete files in English (CV, motivation letter, and references and must be Word file or PDF file only, otherwise will be rejected)
To email@example.com E-mail,
Subject “Information Management GIS Specialist”.
Any resume without subject will be automatically rejected.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Location: SARC HQ in Damascus with frequent field visit in designated region
The information management GIS specialist shares the values of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement and ensures adherence to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement at all times.
This position is part of SARC HQ Information Management structure and reports directly to Information Management Manager.
Occasionally, the position may include travels inside and outside the country.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that SARC IM coordinators in the branches have the means and tools to carry out their responsibilities and are supported to provide timely and comprehensive data and information as expected by HQ and partners.
- Meticulously follow the information flows related to SARC beneficiaries, distributions of relief items, warehouses stock movements, emergency and basic health, water and sanitation, and protection; and record data available.
- Collect, clean, process, and analyze all the data; and convert it into maps, graphs and visuals.
- Update and maintain geodatabase on-site and remotely.
- Spatial analysis in different levels.
- Contributing to the application of SARC Metadata Standards, including but not limited to the application of metadata standards, project documentation standards and document management conventions.
- Ensure documentation is properly managed and maintained as per SARC P&P.
- Creation and maintenance of reference data sets.
- Manage data and information, including spatial data for SARC and provide technical support to partners.
- Collection, compilation, or integration of external cartographic data as required for analysis or reporting needs.
- Support the preparation of presentations and reports related to GIS activities and programmes.
- Production of printable maps (with ArcGIS, Illustrator or similar software).
- Ability to set up GIS training package and facilitate following SARC IM P&P, in addition to providing technical support to SARC GIS team.
- Proven analytical skills: ability to conduct independent research and analysis, identify issues, and recommend appropriate solutions. Strong negotiation skills: ability to lead and gain assistance of others in a team endeavor, and to articulate coherent arguments to reach agreement. Ability to work under extreme pressure, on occasion in a highly stressful environment.
Judgment and Decision-making:
- Apply sound judgment to resolve a range of issues/ problems.
Planning and Organizing:
- Proven ability to plan and organize, establish priorities, manage and monitor work plans, coordinate competing demands, and work to tight deadlines.
- Solid computer skills, including proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet applications, access, ArcGIS, Oracle, SQL Server, Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe Illustrator.
- Proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively, including ability to prepare reports and conduct presentations, articulating options concisely, conveying maximum information, making and defending recommendations.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree with emphasis in one or more of the following disciplines: GIS, agriculture, geography, social sciences, meteorology, climatology, development studies or a field relevant to international development assistance. At least one year of postgraduate professional experience responsible in GIS.
- Experience with ArcGIS.
- Experience working with relational database management systems (Oracle, SQL Server) is preferred.
- Basic programming skills in Python, ArcPy and SQL.
- Committed to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- Proven leadership and management skills and ability to work as a team member
- Proven strong report writing and drafting skills.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to prioritize and perform multi-skilled tasks
- Meticulous with details.
- Skills in monitoring and reporting both in Arabic and English. Solid and tested analytical skills and ability to write and type effectively in Arabic and English.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Ability to travel inside and outside the country.
- Initiative, independence and sound judgment, maturity and team spirit, service-oriented, problem solving and action-oriented, with excellent drafting, reporting and communications skills.
- Proven ability to manage complex information.
- Excellent with Internet search engines and responsible virus-free Internet usage
- Proactive, solution-focused, decisive, accountable, team-worker, strong integrity.
Proficiency in both oral and written English and Arabic.