Syrian Arab Red Crescent Society (SARC)
SARC is a leading humanitarian organization in Syria, working in emergency health and first aid, primary health care, humanitarian assistance/relief, water and sanitation, and protection.
Vacancy opening date: 26/03/2019
Vacancy closing date: 06/04/2019
Interested candidates are requested to send their complete files in English (CV, motivation letter, and references and must be Word file or PDF file only, otherwise will be rejected)
To email@example.com E-mail,
Subject “Information Management Database Specialist”.
Any resume without subject will be automatically rejected.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Position title: Information Management Database Specialist
Location: SARC HQ in Damascus with frequent field visit in designated region
The information management database specialist shares the values of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement and ensures adherence to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement at all times.
This position is part of SARC HQ Information Management structure and reports directly to Information Management Manager.
Occasionally, the position may include travels inside and outside the country.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that SARC IM coordinators in the branches have the means and tools to carry out their responsibilities and are supported to provide timely and comprehensive data and information as expected by HQ and partners.
- Timely and comprehensive data collection as expected by HQ and partners.
- Meticulously follow the information flows related to SARC beneficiaries, distributions of relief items, warehouses stock movements, emergency and basic health, water and sanitation, and protection; and record data available.
- Support SARC PPSU department in the development of needed MEAL databases and related workflows.
- Design the proper database schema for data input.
- Keep the database maintained and compact.
- Build the necessary queries and reports for extracting the information needed.
- Administer the database sites for keeping all the branches up to date, working in close collaboration with SARC Information Technology department
- Develop the necessary forms for the data entry users, with simple and clear interfaces.
- Convert the data from one database structure into another when needed.
- Proven analytical skills: ability to conduct independent research and analysis, identify issues, and recommend appropriate solutions. Strong negotiation skills: ability to lead and gain assistance of others in a team endeavor, and to articulate coherent arguments to reach agreement. Ability to work under extreme pressure, on occasion in a highly stressful environment.
Judgment and Decision-making:
- Apply sound judgment to resolve a range of issues/ problems.
Planning and Organizing:
- Proven ability to plan and organize, establish priorities, manage and monitor work plans, coordinate competing demands, and work to tight deadlines.
- Solid computer skills and proficiency in database management including SQL or MySQL; and a developer in some high level programming languages like C#, VB.net, and PHP.
- Proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively, including ability to prepare reports and conduct presentations, articulating options concisely, conveying maximum information, making and defending recommendations.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree and/or equivalent experience with emphasis in one or more of the following disciplines: database management, with the ability of producing interfaces for complex iter-related databases.
- Experience with quickbook reports tools.
- At least 3 years of postgraduate professional experience responsible in database management and developing; (SARC experience is a plus).
- Experience with data analysis using tools such as Excel, SPSS, MiniTab.
- Committed to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- Proven leadership and management skills and ability to work as a team member
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to prioritize and perform multi-skilled tasks.
- Meticulous with details.
- Skills in monitoring and reporting both in Arabic and in English. Solid and tested analytical skills and ability to write and type effectively in Arabic and English.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Ability to travel inside and outside the country.
- Initiative, independence and sound judgment, maturity and team spirit, service-oriented, problem solving and action-oriented, with excellent drafting, reporting and communication skills.
- Proven ability to manage complex information.
- Excellent with Internet search engines and responsible virus-free Internet usage
- Proactive, solution-focused, decisive, accountable, team-worker, strong integrity.
Fluent in both oral and written English and Arabic.