Syrian Arab Red Crescent, Damascus
The Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) is an independent humanitarian organisation of public utility, is permanent and continuous, and has a legal entity and enjoys financial and administrative independence.
SARC was founded in 1942 according to the decrees No/540/ 1942 and No/117/ 1966 which regulate the Organisation’s work. It was recognized by the International Committee of the Red Cross in Geneva (ICRC) in 1946, and is committed to upholding the Geneva Conventions and the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Movement of Red Cross and Red Crescent National Societies.
Vacancy opening date: 16/08/2018
Vacancy closing date: 30/08/2018
Interested candidates are requested to send their complete files in English (CV, motivation letter, and references and must be Word file or PDF file only, otherwise will be rejected)
To email@example.com E-mail,
Subject “Finance and Administration Officer”.
Any resume without subject will be automatically rejected.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Incomplete file or application in a language other than English will be rejected
The Syrian Arab Red Crescent is seeking to recruit a:
Finance and Administration Officer (based in IFRC Country Office, Damascus, Syria)
The Finance and Administration Officer will be working with the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) office in Syria reporting to Finance and Administration Delegate.
The Finance and Administration Officer will work with the IFRC team to ensure the provision of effective and efficient accounting, financial, treasury and administration of the office are well organised and coordinated with applicable SARC departments, and IFRC’s Regional Office in Beirut.
S/he will also liaise with Partner National Societies (PNS) working with SARC to streamline travel and visa requests.
The post holder will have a high level of confidentiality, organisation, teamwork and a strong sense of responsibility.
Job duties and responsibilities:
- Cash Management:
o Administer the office petty cash under the supervision and guidance of the Finance and Administration Delegate;
o Monitor the level of cash and support program managers in preparing and sending their monthly cash forecasts to the Regional Office to ensure enough cash flow;
o Establish bank and cash reconciliations as required;
o Ensure all necessary payments are centralized and issued on time as per conditions negotiated with suppliers or operational requirements.
- Validation of acquittals against the SARC WANS:
o Make a first control of the supporting documents provided by the National Society as part of their working advance acquittals.
o Ensure all the accounting transactions are properly authorized, translated in English and documented by original/valid supporting documentation.
- Internal Control:
o Ensure all expenditure strictly abide by IFRC procedures and any deviation be approved by the relevant authority as required (head of Country Office, Regional Director or Secretary General);
o Ensure procurement processes provide enough segregation of duties and that potential issues are addressed with the Finance and Administration Delegate.
- Accounting and reporting:
o Ensure that all transactions are validated following the expenditure authorization policy and others.
o Ensure regular reporting on the level of cash, expenditure level, monitoring of working advances and follow up on their reporting, clearance and replenishment when required.
o Support program managers in reporting on funds.
- Provide efficient and timely administrative support to IFRC delegates
- Draft and negotiate rental contract with landlord/real estate agency with the advice of the legal officer. Ensure timely renewal of lease agreements.
- Responsible for all travel arrangements of the delegation staff (national and delegates).
- Ensure proper welcome arrangements for staff delegate visitors/consultants including pick up/drop from/at airport in coordination with the fleet scheduling meetings and sharing of their ToR with relevant colleagues.
- Coordinate visa issues and other arrangement for travelling and visitors with International Department in SARC
- Maintenance of office inventory including IFRC items in delegate accommodation(s)
- Establish and maintain delegation standard filling system and back-up system.
- Ensure proper filing of all admin documents including registration of internal & external correspondence and other records.
- Assist delegation with writing memo’s, invitation letters, emails as well as translation of the documents related to finance and administration when needed
- Responsible for arrangement of meetings/workshops and any gatherings scheduled by IFRC or instructed by management when needed
- All other tasks requested by the Finance and Administration Delegate or the Head of Country Office.
Immediate Supervisor’s Title
Finance and Administration Delegate, IFRC CO Syria
Second line manager’s title
Head of Country Office, IFRC CO Syria
Required skills and work experience:
- Relevant University Degree
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working in a similar role
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Fluent spoken and written Arabic
- Previous humanitarian experience with Red Cross Red Crescent, INGOs, or UN is preferred
- Understanding of international standards in humanitarian protection and accountability (e.g. HAP, SPHERE, Red Cross Code of Conduct, etc)
- Excellent knowledge of information presentation techniques (graphing, charting, tabling etc.), data processing and analysis, and interpretation skills
- Strong level of computer skills (Windows, MS Office, etc.) and an understanding of data and database management
- Experience working with and/or reporting to major donors
- Excellent report writing and information dissemination skills
- Strong planning and analytical skills, with proven problem solving experience
- Excellent communication skills and teamwork.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure in a responsible manner
- Professional ethics
- Commitment to the Red Cross Red Crescent Fundamental Principles of Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality