Syrian Arab Red Crescent, Damascus
The Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) is an independent humanitarian organisation of public utility, is permanent and continuous, and has a legal entity and enjoys financial and administrative independence.
SARC was founded in 1942 according to the decrees No/540/ 1942 and No/117/ 1966, which regulate the Organisation’s work. It was recognized by the International Committee of the Red Cross in Geneva (ICRC) in 1946, and is committed to upholding the Geneva Conventions and the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Movement of Red Cross and Red Crescent National Societies.
Vacancy opening date: 25/10/2018
Vacancy closing date: 06/11/2018
Interested candidates are requested to send their complete files in English (CV, motivation letter, and references and must be Word file or PDF file only, otherwise will be rejected)
To email@example.com E-mail,
Subject “Country Finance and Administration Officer”.
Any resume without subject will be automatically rejected.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Incomplete file or application in a language other than English will be rejected
The Syrian Arab Red Crescent is seeking to recruit a:
Country Finance and Administration Officer Syrian Arab Red Crescent, Damascus
(based in SARC Headquarters)
Purpose of employment:
The purpose of the Country Finance and Administration Officer is to contribute to financial risk management, and provide the financial, logistics and administrative support needed for the country offices.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Support the preparation of programme budgets for the Norwegian Red Cross’ support to HNS, together with Country and Regional Office staff.
- Prepare the NorCross Field Office (Country Office) budget in coordination with relevant Country Office staff.
- Perform budget analysis as and when required and revise the budget if relevant.
- Perform daily accounting for the Norwegian Red Cross Country Office in Agresso (Norwegian Red Cross accounting software) and ensure compliance with Norwegian Red Cross Operational Manual, including the Finance and Accounting Manual (FAM) and the Regulations for Financial Control.
- Review vouchers to ensure compliance with the Norwegian Red Cross requirements and work with HNS to address gaps.
- Stamp payment vouchers and the supporting documents as paid by the Norwegian Red Cross
- Prepare and present monthly financial reports to the Country Programme Manager.
- Perform accounting for other Country Offices: Receive and control monthly expenditure overview and supporting documents before posting this into Agresso.
- File of documents according to guidelines in the Operational Manual/Finance and Accounting Manual.
- Prepare monthly reconciliations of balance accounts related to the Country Office. Ensure that the reconciliations are checked and signed by the Country Programme Manager and sent to Regional Office (RO) or HQ.
- Provide details of budget vs. actual expenditure to Country Programme Manager as and when required and give advice on financial matters to make appropriate decisions.
- Ensure that the accounting is done in compliance with the relevant back-donor requirements on financial issues/financial management.
- Ensure that the accounting is done according to deadlines set by RO or HQ. Together with the Country Programme Manager, ensure control of the overall finance and accounting tasks at the Norwegian Red Cross Field Office. Inform RO or HQ on any delays and/or changes.
- Prepare financial statements for interim and annual audit in line with the annual Audit Engagement Instructions from external auditor.
- Coordinate the interim and annual audit of all programmes accounted for via the Field Office.
- Support the Country Programme Manager in the implementation of internal and external audit recommendations (in accordance with the Country Office Plan of Action based on the Annual Management Letter).
- Communicate with auditors and HNS to resolve any further issues of regional office and HQ on matters relating to audit.
- Communicate with Regional Office and HQ and obtain approval on the final Audit reports.
- Ensure that all project expenditure authorization process is as per approved Matrix.
- Ensure that all procurements are in line with Norwegian Red Cross policy and procedures at the point of clearing the payments.
- Review and analyze the monthly financial analysis report prepared and take appropriate measures to clear issues of concern identified or raised by Country Programme Manager.
- Review the HNS returns, provide feedback where necessary to both Country Programme Manager and the HNS in the areas of concerns.
- Perform delegated responsibilities on all financial matters to ensure that internal control is in line and effective as required.
- Perform mid-year expenditure review against approved budgets.
- Ensure that programme advances to the HNS are controlled and cleared with acceptable documentation and vouchers.
- Work closely with the HNS finance officer(s) to ensure timely and quality reporting of advances
- Provide support, if required, to the Regional Finance Manager in rolling out the new financial working modality within the supported HNS.
- Translate, or facilitate the translation of the supporting documents received from the HNS into English, if required.
- Assist the Norwegian Red Cross Country Programme Manager to ensure that Norwegian Red Cross Procurement guidelines, and if relevant further donor requirements, are adhered to (for procurement of goods and services) and alert Norwegian Red Cross Country Programme Manager, RO or HQ if this is not the case. Consult RO or HQ logistics team when relevant.
- Update the inventory list for the Country Office plus Norwegian Red Cross residence every time there is a change, at least twice annually. Make sure that every item is properly tagged.
- Maintain and update the Office Specific Information form for the Country Office Field Office.
- Make travel arrangements, in liaison with the Regional Office if required, including tickets, visas, hotel bookings, office correspondences, minor purchases for Country Office staff and visitors.
- Together with the Country Programme Manager or Technical Delegates, sit in/advise the Procurement Committee on major procurements in line with Norwegian Red Cross’s Procurement Guidelines and donor requirements.
- In support HNS, assess supplier performance and systemize learning from procurement processes relevant to NorCross’ support to the HNS.
- Liaise with IFRC/HNS for HR, Administration, Logistics and Fleet related matters.
- Provide treasury management support to HNS by monitoring and ensuring sufficient cash flow.
- Prepare Norwegian Red Cross payments and ensure necessary signatures/approvals.
- Administer the petty cash of the Norwegian Red Cross according to Norwegian Red Cross’s procedures.
- Prepare Norwegian Red Cross monthly bank reconciliation and petty cash reconciliation
- Contribute to the capacity of the finance team of HNS district though continuous monitoring and feedback on finance related queries.
Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
|Mission specific responsibilities :|
|– In support of budgeting, financial monitoring and reporting across the HNS and Norwegian Red Cross financial systems, establish a procedure to align the systems, including coding the expenses per the specific Norwegian Red Cross reporting and account codes for Country Programme Manager approval.
– Establish a procedure together with the Regional Office for exchange rate conversion from local currency to Norwegian Kroner, to facilitate instant and accurate booking of spending in NOK.
– Undertake other analyses of the financial management relevant to NorCross, as requested.
Required education :
|– Professional qualification in accounting (Chartered accountant, CPA or equivalent) Or A degree in accounting or Business Administration – accounting option
|Skills and experience:|
|– Advanced knowledge of accounting concepts, financial management and use reporting applications (e.g. Agresso and Advanced use of excel)
– Understanding of internal control and treasury management concepts
– Proven ability to engage discretely and tactfully with internal and external stakeholders.
– Advanced skills in computer productivity applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
|– Ability to work towards achieving objectives and results.
– Ability to convince and gain acceptance
– Ability to communicate effectively.
– Ability to be solution oriented