Cash based assistance (CBA) Officer
Syrian Arab Red Crescent, Damascus
The Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) is an independent humanitarian organisation of public utility, is permanent and continuous, and has a legal entity and enjoys financial and administrative independence.
SARC was founded in 1942 according to the decrees No/540/ 1942 and No/117/ 1966 which regulate the Organisation’s work. It was recognized by the International Committee of the Red Cross in Geneva (ICRC) in 1946, and is committed to upholding the Geneva Conventions and the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Movement of Red Cross and Red Crescent National Societies.
The Syrian Arab Red Crescent is seeking to recruit a:
Cash based assistance (CBA) Officer (based in SARC HQ in Damascus with frequent travel around Syria)
Vacancy opening date: 06-12-2018
Vacancy closing date: 15/12/2018
Interested candidates are requested to send their complete files in English (CV, motivation letter, and references and must be Word file or PDF file only, otherwise will be rejected)
To email@example.com E-mail,
Subject “CBA Officer”.
Any resume without subject (CBA Officer) will be automatically rejected.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Purpose of employment:
The CBA Officer will coordinate with respective SARC departments, to facilitate the required SARC internal processes that will support the timely design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of SARC Cassh Based Assistance (CBA) preparedness and programme activities. The Officer will drive the programme forward focusing on SARC CBA capacity building as a priority and will be facilitating the internal SARC CBA Technical Working Group. S/he will also be the focal point for any CBA-related activities for the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement and for the external partners.
Main duties and responsibilities:
• Coordinate the development of the SARC CBA strategic direction and plan of action with an emphasis on CBA capacity building
o Support the implementation of the Cash Preparedness Programme as per the PoA
o Work closely with Movement Cash Coordinator (or resource person) and Movement partners to finalise, implement, monitor and report on the roll-out of the SARC CBA capacity building and related materials
o Organise trainings to support detailed regional CBA feasibility studies with key branches with identified branch CBA focal persons.
Systems, procedures and programme tools
• Facilitate the National Society CBA Technical Working Group (TWG)
• Lead and coordinate the development of CBA systems, procedures and programme tools for effective and targeted implementation.
o Coordinate various SARC departments and teams to develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), tools and guidance related to CBA
o Ensure the adaptation and harmonization of reporting mechanisms, financial controls, and reconciliation methods for CBA.
o Lead on selection, including risk analysis, and support contracting of Financial Service Providers (FSPs) and support development of related procurement SOPs, tools and guidance.
o Coordinate the development and implementation of Community Accountability and Engagement systems and procedures in relation to CBA with the MEAL sub-unit under the Performance, Partnerships and Accountability Unit.
o Ensure CBA systems and procedures are institutionally integrated.
Implementation of CBA projects
• Lead and coordinate the implementation of the CBA projects;
o Ensure quality, timely monitoring of programme activities is undertaken, provide support to the branches and relevant staff and volunteers where needed;
o Support the SARC stakeholder analysis, mapping and internal baseline development at Governorate levels with branch CBA focal points.
o Coordinate detailed feasibility studies in each governorate to support long term CBA planning with branch CBA focal points in the future. This include the identification of a pilot project that will be implemented by SARC.
o Develop project documents, baseline and workshop reports and key correspondence and development of corresponding SOPs, tools and guidance;.
o Coordinate the implementation of SARC CBA pilots and ensure CBA systems and procedures are institutionally integrated.
o Ensure revisions to the CBA guidelines, and SOPs taking into the experience and learning from the pilot projects, external parties, and others who have gone through the process to inform development of CBA guidelines including SOPs and selection of service providers.
• Ensure engagement and coordinate with Movement and external partners on CBA.
o Work with key stakeholders on CBA implementation and ensure proper use the Movement and external platforms when necessary.
o Liaise technically with the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement CBA Coordinator.
o Participate in CBA meetings, inter-agency technical working groups and donor meetings wherever possible, and in regional and international meetings, as appropriate
o Participate in the Movement CBA Working Group upon its establishment
o Promote CBA, to build engagement and ownership, and establish effective coordination and communication internally and externally
Required skills and work experience:
• Experience with project cycle management and project management tools such as logical frameworks, work plans, budgets and forecasts, monitoring and evaluation plans and indicator tracking;
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including relationship building and presentations;
• Demonstrated ability and effectiveness in dealing with internal and external actors at different levels;
• A good command level of written and oral communication skills in both English and Arabic;
• University degree in in development studies, business management or other related field.
• At least three years successful track record of humanitarian disaster management experience, preferably within the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, and ideally with SARC;
• Strong level of computer skills (Windows, MS Office, etc.) and ideally an aptitude for project/programme management;
• Ability to work independently, including under pressure, in an accountable and responsible manner;
• Willingness and aptitude for humanitarian field work, with availability to travel at short notice to branches and governorates across Syria, including overnight stays when required.
• Basic understanding of cash based assistance design and implementation
• In-depth understanding of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, supported with direct personal experience.
• experience with capacity building, such as training delivery
• Professional ethics
• Commitment to the Red Cross Red Crescent Fundamental Principles of Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality
• Ability to create and maintain positive relations with people to create/facilitate positive dialogue
• Proactive and demonstrated leaderships skills
• Capacity to work under pressure and to manage various tasks at the same time
Working languages: Arabic and English