Job Description – Agriculture Officer
SARC Livelihoods programming
- Position Title: Agriculture Officer
- Objective: To ensure the effective and efficient project planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation. The Agriculture Officer will supervise and will provide technical support to the agricultural projects implemented in the Branches.
- Reporting to:
- The Agriculture Officer reports to the SARC Assistant Director General – (SARC management’s livelihoods focal point) and the Livelihoods Coordinator
- The Agriculture officer will be tasked by the Livelihoods Coordinator and by the Movement Livelihoods Delegate as required
Overall Objective :
- Facilitate relations between SARC and the local communities in the realization of projects objectives.
- Awareness raising and community mobilization.
- Beneficiaries identification and selection
- Monitoring and supporting project implementation at field level
- Comply with the SARC financial and administrative procedures and financial requirements.
- Support external assessment missions.
Duties and responsibilities:
- To determine the technological processes for sowing crops and the growing of the seedlings of vegetables according to the different projects implemented in the Governorates.
- To prepare the production plan for the crop plants
- Support farmers to plan and implement the livestock activities.
- Collection of data on production and productivity, processing of livestock products,, feeding, forage production/conservation, involvement of male and female farmers in management and marketing, of livestock products etc
- To support in the selection and procurement of the seeds, fertilizers, livestocks, and other materials required for plant growth and animal production.
- To provide technical support to the beneficiaries as required
- Participate in all food security, agricultural and related assessments carried out in the different Governorates
- Support appropriate accountability and beneficiary communications activities as required
- Coordinate support, facilitation and appropriate positioning for SARC livelihoods activities within the Food and Agriculture Sector
- Support and coach the volunteers in SARC Branches
- Monitor the agricultural activities in the different Governorates
- Provide Arabic-English translation/interpretation support to the Movement Livelihoods Delegate, and other administrative, organisational and bureaucratic support as required.
Required skills and work experience:
- University degree in Agriculture or related field of study
- Previous humanitarian experience with Red Cross Red Crescent, INGOs, or UN is preferred
- Ability to speak and write well in both English and Arabic
- Understanding – and ideally prior experience – of livelihoods concepts and programming
- Good understanding of project cycle management, including developing implementation plans and monitoring systems and ensuring project activities are implemented to a high standard in a timely and professional manner
- Strong level of computer skills (Windows, MS Office, etc.) and ideally an understanding of data and database management
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to represent SARC externally with different stakeholders; cultural sensitivity and awareness
- Strong presentation skills, and capacity to deliver appropriate and relevant trainings to beneficiaries
- Ability to work independently and under pressure in a responsible manner
- Ability to provide Arabic-English translation and interpretation services as requested
- Knowledge of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement is preferred
- Willingness and aptitude for humanitarian field work, and availability to travel at short notice to branches and governorates across SARC, including overnight stays when required.
- Good time management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and works well in a team
- Integrity and honesty in dealing with confidential information
- Able to work independently and execute tasks in a reliable and competent manner
- Strong ability to communicate with beneficiaries, stakeholders and colleagues at different levels
- Must be able to execute tasks in a responsible, reliable and sincere manner
- Previous exposure to international humanitarian standards including the Red Cross Red Crescent Code of Conduct and Fundamental Principles, and understanding of the importance of accountability to beneficiaries is an advantage.
Interested candidates are requested to send their motivation letter and CV in English to the following address:
Closing date: 7/3/2017
Address: Shakib Arslan Street, Abu Rummaneh, Damascus- Syria.
Post Title: Agriculture Officer
Incomplete file or Application in other language than English will be rejected.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.